Sunday, June 12, 2011

You Should Be Listening To...CocknBullKid



CocknBullKid 11


She's a super talented Brit hailing from London with a lovely voice! Her songs are really colorful and pop, but not annoying Top 40 pop. She's actually got stuff to say!




















Her videos are all visually fresh and interesting as well. She has such a pretty, lilting voice. And I like what she has to say in interviews as well. I kind of always gauge an artist by how much I would want to be their friend (lol) and she is one cool lady. She passes my friend test with flying colors!

Some memorables from a 2009 Guardian article: 
On not fitting into standards of beauty: ”I was slimmer and had nicer hair, but I was fucking miserable. I don’t want to be ‘pretty’. I don’t aspire to be like the Pussycat Dolls. I want people to say, ‘Oh, she’s a bit fat, that’s all right, then.’ I want to be an artist who people can believe in.” 
On being a black artist: ”I’m into the new and futuristic. People put me in the MIA category, but I’m not grime and I’m not some ‘ghetto princess’. I want to make pop music. The media put black people in boxes. It really irks me.”




                                         

1 comment:

  1. She has won me over! Similar to Adele in that she uses talent - as opposed to her sexuality - to excel her positioning within the pop world. Safe article!

    ReplyDelete